Oral health care considerations for women:
- Be aware of and address complications associated with diseases and conditions found more commonly in women, such as eating disorders, osteoporosis, and autoimmune disorders. These autoimmune disorders include thyroid disorders, SLE, and Sjögren’s syndrome.
- Be aware of possible increased risk for thrombo-embolic events in women who smoke while taking oral contraceptives.
- Be aware of increased gingival manifestations – inflammation, edema, enlargement, bleeding – during hormonal changes.
- Address oral changes associated with menopause.
- Address specific concerns for the pregnant patient.