Oral health care considerations for patients with SLE:
- Establish the presence and assess the severity of accompanying diseases and conditions.
- Get recent CBC and differential laboratory values.
- Consider antibiotic prophylaxis for patients with a neutrophil count <1,000 cells/mm3.
- Address possible immunosuppression and thrombocytopenia.
- Follow anticoagulation guidelines for patients receiving anticoagulants.
- Address possible adrenal suppression.
- Address possible risk for developing infective endocarditis.
- Asses and treat oral manifestations accompanying the disease: oral ulcerations salivary gland disease and xerostomia, burning mouth, temporomandibular disorders.